This refreshing, crisp coleslaw has all of the classic ingredients of a creamy slaw, plus a few extra to give it a little update. The cucumber and dill, though simple enough on their own, lend a freshness that just can’t be beat. The trick is to properly balance the flavors: by pairing the tart sour cream, sweet maple syrup, creamy mayonnaise, savory salt, and herbaceous dill together, you create a salad with a depth of flavor that will enhance your entire menu. The best part about a slaw is that you if you use this formula (or really, method of balancing flavors) as a guideline, you can’t go wrong by substituting ingredients within the same flavor profile- such as adding a little pomegranate molasses instead of maple syrup, or pickle brine instead of salt. Have fun with it!
All of the products that I used to create this recipe can be purchased using the links below:
Disclaimer: I receive a commission for the purchase of any product using the links provided on my website, at no extra cost to you.
Add the red cabbage, Napa cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, scallions, and dill to a large mixing bowl.
In a smaller mixing bowl, add the maple syrup, cream, mayonnaise, sour cream, and salt. Whisk until combined.
Pour the dressing into the large mixing bowl and toss well to coat the slaw.
Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Cucumber Dill Coleslaw
- 3 carrots, scrubbed and tops removed, then julienned
- ¼ red cabbage, outer leaves removed, then shredded
- ⅓ Napa cabbage, outer leaves removed, then shredded
- 2 Persian cucumbers (or one English cucumber), washed and julienned
- 2 scallions, washed and sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped dill
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup heavy cream (can substitute with light cream, half & half, milk, or coconut cream)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp sour cream (can substitute with greek yogurt, labneh, crème fraîche, or plain yogurt)
- 2-4 pinches kosher salt, or to taste
- Add the carrots, cucumbers, red cabbage, Napa cabbage, scallions, and dill to a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, add the maple syrup, cream, mayonnaise, sour cream, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the dressing into the large mixing bowl and toss well to coat the slaw. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.